Both Karveer Gayan Samaj and Deval Club
started their activities out of pure love towards
Hindusthani Classical music. Neither of them
had any formal establishment nor the funds so
as to have their own premises. Naturally, all the
early activities were being arranged in either of
the member's residence or in a rented hall.
Many of the concerts were held in a hall of the
Rajaram College. Since regular attendance
had substantially increased, a residential hall on
the first floor of the building owned by Mr.
Luktuke, situated behind the Laxmiprasad
Theatre in Mangalwar Peth, was taken on rent on a regular basis. That was the time when the
great musical personalities such as Govindraoji Tembe, Ustad Alladiyan Khan Saheb,
Bhaskarbuwa Bakhale, Bal Gandharv, Keshavrao Bhosale and many others became regular
visitors, who attended every function religiously. Eventually all their admirers and followers
followed suit and the popularity of this Club started spreading across the country.
No wonder, this group started feeling a need for their own building, where they could
independently continue their activities. For the purpose, with a view of collecting funds, they
produced a few theatrical plays; including mainly 'Vinod', a comedy authored by Shri.
Madhavrao Joshi. The actors in this comedy included V. Shantaram, Bhalji Pendharkar and
Baburao Pendharkar, who later on became great personalities of Indian Cinema. Rajarshi
Shri. Shahu Maharaja was in the audience for one of the shows and was very much impressed
by their performance. Understanding the need of the club and considering its achievements in past, he donated to the club, a piece of land and an amount of Rs. 3000/- as donation and
additional Rs. 3000/- as loan, for the construction of club building. He did this in the memory of
Shri. Govind Ballal Deval, his resident tutor and the author of Sharada, Manapaman and
SanshayKallol, the great Marathi musical classics. Deval had passed away in 1916. Following
the footsteps of Rajarshi Shri Shahu, many renowned musical personalities and admirers of
arts, donated generously for the club building, which was completed and inaugurated by Shri.
Shahu Maharaja in 1919.
Old building of the Club as it is today
This building has witnessed the golden era of the development and popularity of the traditional
classical performing arts. All the renowned artists of the time have resided and performed their
skills in front of the highly appreciative crowd of Kolhapur. Now with the passage of time and
changing needs of the city, this historical building has been reshaped to facilitate the road
widening work. Simultaneously, the club has taken up construction of a modern multipurpose
cultural complex, suitable for the modern times, so as to give a fillip to the ongoing activities.
Nevertheless, the institute is planning to reconstruct this heritage building in the memory of
Shri. Govind Ballal Deval, as also of Rajarshi Shri. Shahu Maharaja for his unforgettable
contribution and patronage for Classical Music, Dance and Drama.